Robin Gnista (Sweden)



 Robin Gnista (Sweden)

2013 is no more than 1 month old, and I can already tell you I have a very serious contestant for 2013 artist discovery award ! If you are in a hurry or do not have lot of time to loose by now, please, follow this advice, do not click on this link: www. robingnista.com, keep it for later or, if you are like me, you will spend hours and hours browsing through the pages.  "Hey! I am Robin Gnista. Outta Stockholm, Sweden, I make posters and artwork for bands, clubs or anyone in need of good art. My art is hand drawn, made to very reasonable prices. I mostly do custom orders, so do ask! ". Talent, humility and huge potential, this is all what it is about here !!! Welcome on the blog Robin, and be sure I'll keep an eye(ball) on you ...

 

1 Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are

we listening to when we come to visit you?

Union Carbide Productions, Badfinger, Captain Beefheart, Stooges,
Beatles, etc. Audiobooks are also great when working.

2 Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you

from, what do you do?

I'm an artist from Stockholm, Sweden. I make old fashioned rock and
roll artwork for bands and clubs.


3 When did you start drawing?

In childhood.

4 Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the

margins of your schoolbooks?

 No art education.

5 - Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else

for a living?

Art is my living, takes up most of my time.

6 - Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Not regularly, but it happens.

7 - Where does your influence come from? Is there any

artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

The chain of 1890s art nouveau; 1960's art nouveau-influenced posters;
and art influenced by these two movements. In general, history, art
and literature that predates 1900 is a great inspiration to me, as
well as 60's psychedelia.

8 - What are the principal steps in your work?

Working with ideas and sketching, making the original piece, scanning
it into a computer where I add color.

9 - Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Everything by hand except for the colors, which are digitally added.

10 - How long does it take you to do a poster?

No simple answer to that. I've had deadlines of everything between
three days and three months. But the work includes coming up with
ideas that works in several required aspects, making sketches, making
the original art, changing your mind, making mistakes such as spilling
coffee or sneezing at a crucial moment, redoing stuff, communication
with the customer, it all depends so much.

11 - You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you

feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses

running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are

you up for it?

Thanks! Well, generally I'm asked to do what I do best, with a lot of
artistic freedom, which I appreciate a lot. I accept unusual requests
in case I see potential of a good result in them.

12 - For which band have you already worked for?

Lots. I'm happy to have worked with Horisont, on their Second Assault
LP cover. Another band is Dean Allen Foyd, with whom I have a ongoing
cooperation. I consider them the best psychedelic band of today. For
two years or more, I've been working with the rock club Püssy A Go Go
in Stockholm, I've done nearly all their artwork, which has resulted
in probably 60 posters, logos etc.

13 - For which band would you love to work?

Roky Erickson.

14 - Do you choose the artists yourself?

The bands and clubs contact me.

15 - What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

Working by hand in a tight timeframe, you have to get it right
directly - so if you make a mistake or a section of tour dates are
changed, you're in trouble.

16 - Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else?

No, most design guys around here have a modernistic approach to art,
which I don't.

17 - A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where

can we see your work, on the web or in real life?

Some of my works are to be seen as wallpaintings at the rock club
Püssy A Go Go in Stockholm.

18 - The best praise you received lately?


Unknowing of who I was, two guys standing next to me at a record store
started talking about this "awesome poster artist Robin Gnista".
Praise is a weird thing to handle, but if you hear it like that, it
feels like a true compliment.

19 - What can we wish you for the future?

Health and more international jobs, and I'll be fine.


20 - Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

It's really beautiful seeing you support poster art with your blog, thank you!

Aucun commentaire: